Relocating indexed data folders from one external drive to another

Started by petej, September 04, 2018, 12:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petej

I want to move my image files from the external drive indexed by IMatch (P:) to another external drive (E:).  I have looked at previous posts on this and also in IMatch Help, but since I'm apprehensive about this move I want to make sure I fully understand the process before I proceed.

I understand that there are two ways of doing this:  (1) relocate the folders from within IMatch (not using Windows Explorer), or (2) relocate the folders using Windows Explorer and then using the "Relocate" command to tell IMatch where the files were moved to.

IMatch Help urges us to use method (1).  How do I do this?  IMatch "Media & Folders" only shows the P: drive (the only one indexed), so how would I drag & drop to the E: drive? Should I use the "cut" command on the folders in the "Media & Folders" view, then switch to Windows Explorer view and "paste" the folders into the E: drive.

If I use option (2), would I copy the files from P: to E: using Windows Explorer, then use the "Relocate" command in the context menu of the P: folders shown in the "Media & Folders" view to tell IMatch that the folders are now on E:?  Do I need to disconnect P: while I'm doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mario

1. Close the database and make a backup copy of it.

2. Move all the files from P: to E: in Windows Explorer. Keep the same structure.

3. Open IMatch and then use the Relocate command (available in the right-click context menu of the P: drive node) in the IMatch Media & Folders View to relocate P: to E:
This tells IMatch that all folders formerly on P: are now on E:

If something goes wrong (should not). restore your backup copy of the database and start over. No harm done.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

petej

Thank you Mario; your response is much appreciated.  I successfully followed your instructions!