Change 'Date Created' ?

Started by richard49, September 12, 2018, 10:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard49

Hello,
I have several thousand image files that I have put through BulkFileChanger which enabled me to correct the 'Modified time' the  'Created Time' and the 'Accessed Time'.

For instance...

I have some images in a folder 2008-04-17 and all of the images in that folder have had the Created Time corrected to 2008-04-17

When I open these files in iMatch, in the Metadata window in Date Subject it shows 2008-09-14

I'm confused that this date is different from the 'Created Time' for the images file and I can't find a way to bulk change files to correct this.

An extract from the List Metadata in EXIF tool command Processor is...

[XMP-photoshop] Date Created                    : 2008:09:14

Any advice on how to change this data for several thousand images would be very welcome.

Regards,
Richard
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Mario

IMatch determines the "File DateTime" during import from the EXIF date/time stamps as outlined in this help topic:

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#tech_exifdate.htm

You can see the XMP created and digitized date and time derived from the EXIF date & time in your files in the Metadata Panel, in the default layout.

I don't know which time stamps you have changed, but you need to look at the EXIF timestamps in your files, not the XMP timestamps. These are mapped during import into XMP, according to the rules and recommendations of the Metadata Working Group. Only if the file has no EXIF but XMP (which would be rare) the XMP timestamps are imported as-is.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

richard49

Mario,
I think I've solved it...

In Windows Explorer it shows the Date Taken as being different so I did the following...

In a file explorer view of the directory, right-click the file, select "Properties". Then click on the "Details" tab, then click on the "date taken" field, move the mouse cursor over to the actual value of the date and click on it,  and the field becomes editable.

So far (for the images that are appearing incorrect) this seems to be working.

I hate computers...  :'(

I will take a long look at the link you sent though, thanks.

Regards,
Richard
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Mario

Why don't you just set the date and time in the IMatch metadata panel? Why so complicated?
When you write back Match will write the created/digitized date and time into XMP and also into XMP. And even into legacy IPTC if your files have embedded legacy IPTC data.
Changing only some of the dates in whatever tool you fancy will do no good and cause metadata to become out-of-sync.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook