changing the database id

Started by nordkapp, October 10, 2018, 09:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordkapp

I prepare for a switch to IM2018 from 5.8 and therefore I bought a bigger harddrive for holding up all my images. the old hdd I use for a test db, so I have about 1TB of images to play around with IM2018 to get used to it.

now I read in the help that I most likely will ran into problems when I not change the database ID. I actually don't know what problems will occur, but I want not to have problems ;-)

I have actually 4 databases all comes from the same copy of my production DB (5.8.)
- my 5.8. production DB 100.000+ images on my new hdd
- a copy of the DB for IM2018 on my new hdd
- a copy of a part of the DB relocated on my old hdd, where I removed the folders that are not on my old hdd anymore
- a very small DB with 3.000 images in a special testing folder (but the db is also a copy of another db)

For one DB I generate a new ID but I don't know which influence it has.

The only thing I see is that my preview cache folder has only 4 folders with a UID + an IMWS folder. And one of it seems not to be updated for a long time. The preview cache is located on drive D to the same destination for IM2018 and 5.8. I have done that years ago during the switch from IM 3.6. I havent used the preview cache since then

Is it a good way to:
- delete the complete preview cache folder
- open every database and generate a new ID

if so, which one should I do first?

Mario

The database id only needs to be changed if you duplicate a database and want to use both databases in the future.

IMatch records some settings in the settings database a per-database and hence each database needs to have a unique id. If you create a database in IMatch, it gets a unique id. But if you duplicate a database with copy/paste in Windows Explorer, yo need to change the database id yourself.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nordkapp

I only want to use one database for production. So did I do something wrong or can I leave the database ids so as they are if all other dbs are for testing purposes?