Problems with Rating

Started by Frank, September 13, 2013, 05:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

This topic starts already in topic:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=548.0

I do have the following Problem:
Before using IMATCH I Tagged my pictures with Fotostation Pro. Than some years later I have started using imatch3 and migrated all pictures.
Everything worked fine.

Now during my tests with imatch 5 I figured out that I do have the rating written into different metadata groups. I thought that Imatch synchronises all attributes.
So fact is that I have a different rating written in exif and XMP.
My settings in imatch 3 are (see picture) and my settings in imatch 5 are (see secondpicture)

How can I clean up this situation?

I will not loose the work I have done in imatch 3 because there everything is fine!

Mario, because the pictures are to big I will sent them to you as mail.

Frank

[attachment deleted by admin]

cytochrome

I battle a lot with metadata entry in IM5...

I think IM3 has written to the raw file, but in IM5 you read (and write) only to the sidecar.

Francis

Mario

Quote from: Frank on September 13, 2013, 05:35:53 PM
Now during my tests with imatch 5 I figured out that I do have the rating written into different metadata groups. I thought that Imatch synchronises all attributes.
So fact is that I have a different rating written in exif and XMP.

There is only one real rating, and that is the rating contained in XMP metadata. This is the only rating IMatch 3 uses.
IMatch 5 also fully supports the XMP rating tag. XMP ratings written in IMatch 3 are available in IMatch 5.

I'm not sure about the rating field in EXIF. It is not mentioned in either the EXIF 2.3 standard document (latest) nor the Metadata Working Group specification.

ExifTool lists it as one of the tags it can read, though. Windows Explorer writes to this tag when you set a rating to a JPEG file. Microsoft also updates the RatingPercent tag contained in the proprietary Microsoft XMP namespace when you write a rating in Windows Explorer.

When you create a file with the following data:

xmp:Rating = 1
exif:Rating = 2
XMP-microsoft:Rating = 5

Windows Explorer shows the rating as 5 while IMatch maps the EXIF rating to the XMP rating on import when EXIF->XMP metadata propagation is on (or MWG is enabled). On writing, IMatch makes sure that all three ratings are set to the same value when they already exist, else it updates only the XMP rating because it is the only standardized rating value.

In my code I've also found the following comment: "Note: Adobe removes the xmp-microsoft:RatingPercent when saving files". I'm not sure if this is also true for current Adobe applications. But the RatingPercent is Microsoft-only anway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Frank

Mario,
For picture AAA02645.JPG

With EXIFTOOL GUI
    • There are different entries of Rating written to the files like shown in attachment "Exiftool_gui_XMP.jpg" and "Exiftool_gui_EXIF.jpg"

In Imatch 3
    • The Rating out of the xmp is used like shown in picture "imatch3_A.jpg"

In Imatch 5
    • The Rating out of the EXIF is used like shown in picture (mwg compliance ON) "imatch5_A.jpg"

When turning off the mwg compliance and than do not import the exif data into xmp than everything works fine with me now!
I have just checked it with a few pictures. I will create a new database in two weeks.

But at the moment I cannot understand the impact or what I miss if I do so.

--> Does this mean that all information written into exif is than not in XMP for later use?
--> Has Imatch 3 not imported all exif information into xmp already?
--> In the future I would like to be mwg compliance, how can I archive this?

regards
Frank

[attachment deleted by admin]