Map is a very slow

Started by Mammut, September 15, 2013, 09:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mammut

Is it just me or IMatch is really slow if the Map Panel is turned on?

I turned on the Map Panel and there are 2-3000 images in the file browser, and IMatch becomes really slow, every operation takes minutes, I even get Stop the script on the page or not messages.
I selected all files with ctrl+a and I had to wait like 5 minutes with the circle (the new, w7 hourglass) mouse cursor.

Is this normal or something wrong with my system? I don't have any problem with Google Map in Firefox.

Thanks,
mammut

edit: I applied a location to 1500 files, I had to wait with that mouse cursor like 10 minutes. After that IMatch said that All background tasks have completed. :D
Anyway, I closed that panel. IMatch is working normal speed now.

JohnZeman

I haven't noticed it being slow on my system.  As a test I just turned on the map panel, it loaded a default map in a couple seconds, then I selected 100 images whose locations loaded and displayed on the map in just a few seconds.

Mario

The Google Maps becomes slow when you attempt to display hundreds or thousands of file locations. It's not designed for that purpose.

Applying a location to 1,500 files means updating the GPS data and the related tags in XMP. If you have background write-back enabled (Edit > Preferences > Background Processing), IMatch will then immediately start to write metadata to1,500 files. And this can take a while.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BenAW

Quote from: Mammut on September 15, 2013, 09:20:42 PM
I turned on the Map Panel and there are 2-3000 images in the file browser, and IMatch becomes really slow, every operation takes minutes, I even get Stop the script on the page or not messages.
I selected all files with ctrl+a and I had to wait like 5 minutes with the circle (the new, w7 hourglass) mouse cursor.

Is this normal or something wrong with my system? I don't have any problem with Google Map in Firefox.
In Preferences > Application > Geo and Map Services the default setting is 100 images.
If you can select more than 100 images with the map panel OPEN, and don't get a warning, you have probably changed this setting.

Mammut

No, I already added the GPS data for 3000 files, so it was there already, it was the first 5 minutes work.

That's why I selected only 1500 files to add the location, hoping it would be faster. I created a location at the marking, and applied that location to the files. That was the 10 minutes work. :)

And I turned off the writeback right after I created the database. I don't like it because it's slow, every program becomes much slower because of that. I usually write the data into the files at night.
I checked it now, it is turned off.

And yes, I changed the map setting to 5000 files. I have 30000 files in the database now, it would be very slow to work with 100 files segments. And these are just my test files, I have waaay much more files I intend to import later when IMatch will be stable enough for that. I can't work with 100 files segments, it's just not enough.

So it's normal to work 5 and 10 minutes on a few thousand images? Okay, I guess it needs serious optimization (I tested it, in Lightroom both tasks takes about 30-60 seconds with 1500 files, but the whole Lightroom is slowing down with more 10k files... in Daminion both tasks takes about 10 seconds with 1500 files, and it had no problem with more files either), but I'm happy that it's not an issue with my system. :)

Mario

I think the problem is really displaying that many files in the Google Maps. Not in IMatch  ;)

Sending the coordinates of several thousand files to the JavaScript running in the Map panel will take a very long time.

And displaying the points in the map it is not required to apply a location. When you apply a location in the Map panel it is applied to all selected files, even if these files are not displayed in the Map panel! So you can keep the default 100 files display limit, and still assign a location to thousands of files.

Just checked. On my five year old system I can apply a location to 1,000 files in a 3 seconds (without write-back).
I kept the 100 files limit, selected 1000 files. In the map panel I selected a location and used the Apply command.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mammut

Hm, but the other programs are using Google Map, too. At least Daminion for sure, and Lightroom map's footnote is saying that, too.
And there is a little window on the map where I can browse through all of the 1500 images in that coordinate. So it can handle it. I tried with 10000 files in Daminion, there wasn't any problem.

But okay, I tried it. I changed the setting back to 100 files, and I selected a category where there are only 800 images. That warning dialog always shown that 100 files is the limit, so I turned it off.
I can create a marker at a map position and I can create a location there in no time. It's good.

BUT!
"Apply the target marker coordinates to all selected files" and "Apply Location" are not doing anything. The Location metadatas are all empty after that.
I thought it's just working on it in the background, but no, IMatch work in progress circle is not there, and I waited minutes but nothing changed.

Although the "hourglass" mouse cursor is finally gone.

So I tried something: select only 100 files. It works, IMatch added the gps coordinates and the location, too. And right away, it was fast.

Now I tried something else: select 101 files. It doesn't work! The tags are empty.

So it doesn't work here.

Mario

Just checked. My 1000 files all have GPS data now.

Maybe you did something different?

Set logging to Debug mode under Help > Support.
Please restart IMatch so we get a clean log and then select 1000 files and apply a location from the Map panel (from the drop-down menu under the Star button). Attach the zipped log. This will tell me what you are doing and how IMatch is performing.

I have never seen the Google Maps API being able to display target markers for 10,000 files. This will take ages. Alone the thousands of lookups to the Google web site. I doubt that your other software really want to display the 10,000 target markers. Maybe they just show a few, and skip the rest.

Please note that the Map panel in IMatch may be gone soon anway due to Googles change in policy.
Maybe DAMNation is the better program for you in the end. I have never worked with it, but not every program is for everyone. If the Geo functionality is important for you, switch to DAMnation or LR.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mammut

Quote from: Mario on September 16, 2013, 01:29:41 PMI have never seen the Google Maps API being able to display target markers for 10,000 files. This will take ages. Alone the thousands of lookups to the Google web site. I doubt that your other software really want to display the 10,000 target markers. Maybe they just show a few, and skip the rest.

Well, try it, it's free. I can browse through all of the files in both programs. I don't know how they are done it, I'm not a programmer. Maybe they are caching them, and load only that portion where I'm at that moment, I don't have a clue.

QuotePlease note that the Map panel in IMatch may be gone soon anway due to Googles change in policy.
Maybe DAMNation is the better program for you in the end. I have never worked with it, but not every program is for everyone. If the Geo functionality is important for you, switch to DAMnation or LR.

Lol. You always send me away. Yesterday, too. If you want that I go away, okay. I will. Nice support.

I used these programs as examples because I know that there is a working map function. I don't understand your reaction. If you want to solve the problems, don't insult those who are mention them.

IDimager is dead. LR sucks as a dam. Daminion's really short on features, too.
So I needed a better program and I needed features which are only in IMatch in one place, that's why I bought it. With your mentality, I regret it.

Ferdinand

Please note:

(i)  All exchanges in this forum are to remain civil. 
(ii)  This is a beta test, and as such no-one has paid any money for IMatch 5 and therefore has no expectation of support.  We are all here because we agreed to test.
(iii)  You were offered the opportunity to send in a log so that your problem could be investigated.

Mario

I did not try to offend you. Or drive you away. I'm just always honest to my users. If I think that IMatch is not the right software for a user, I tell them straight away. I strive to have only happy users. If IMatch 5 does not do what you need, or not right, or not fast enough, maybe a different software is better.

Many IMatch users use GeoSetter for GPS-related tasks. This is a free and fine piece of software and it works very well together with IMatch 3 and 5. The author of GeoSetter is an IMatch user too  ;)  Maybe GeoSetter can show you 10,000 files on the Google Map, I don't know.

Did you do the test I asked you for?
Since I can add GPS data to 1000 files in 3 seconds on my system, I wonder why it fails on yours. The log file may contain some information which gives me some hints.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

CollieDog

I for one certainly hope that Mario can find a way to keep the map module. Of course I do like GeoSetter and have been using it as well, but I really do like having a map-module built in. Being able to geo-tag in IMatch will speed up workflow, eliminate the need to learn and use yet another software application, and attract newcomers who, like me, would prefer to use one tool instead of two or three.

But if a mapping tool cannot be implemented, then I hope that we can help the developer of GeoSetter with the development of his excellent tool.

Carlo Didier

I second that the map feature is very useful (for many users probably).
Tell me if I'm wrong, but there are other possibilities like OpenMaps which could be used instead of Google Maps.