Move folder to favourite folder

Started by KimAbel, September 16, 2013, 10:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KimAbel

In my workflow I import my pictures in a "New pictures" folder where they are stored in a folder per day )for instance "0916 Svalbard". When I have finished deleting, typed in metadata and a couple of more things I move this "day" folder to my main arcive (in the same database). This years pictures goes into the folder "2013". I know that I can drag and drop from my "New pictures" folder to "2013", but with my folder strucure (many folder per year) this is annoying. It takes time to wait for IM5 to scroll up to 2013, make sure that no other folder is accidentaly selected and wait for the folder to unfold.

My wish is for a function to drag and drop this entire folder into my "Favourite" folder (2013) under the "Favorites" panel and then my folder would move to "2013". When I try this now I can see the help text saying "copy to folder", but that dosent do anything with my folder. I guess this only applies for individually selected pictures.

Regards
Kim Abel

Mario

Folder Favorites only work on files:

Clicking on a folder favorite you have created copies all selected files to that folder.
If you hold down <Ctrl> when you click, the files are moved instead.

Since dragging a folder is so easy, I don't see a need to change Favorites to support copying/moving entire folders.

Do you know that you can Cut a folder (<Ctrl>+<X>) and then Paste it (<Ctrl>+<V>) to another place in your folder hierarchy?
You can also use the corresponding commands in the Clipboard sub-menu in the folder context menu.
This makes it easy to move folders over a "long" distance, like in your case.

You can of course also use the filter or search function in the Folder & Media View to quickly navigate.
Or the History buttons in the toolbar, which allow to to quickly move forwards and backwards between recently used folders.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KimAbel

QuoteSince dragging a folder is so easy, I don't see a need to change Favorites to support copying/moving entire folders.

Well that is a statement for files to and I hoped that since the function already lies there for files it would be easy to implement it for folders to? I would guess that moving folders is just as much used as moving files. Moving folders is something I do quite often in my workflow and It is more wise to do this in IM. The Favourites panel would be a natural place to have such a function.

Your other suggestions will work, but with more steps.

Just my little wish that perhaps Im alone to have. I totally understand that you have many other priorities, and your own preferences for how things should work :-)

Kim

Mario

Very well.
Your request stays here and I'll look into it for a later release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook