How to add keywords - norwegian language

Started by frlindla, February 20, 2019, 08:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

Perhaps someone know something about this, so I try to post it. I have imported several thousand Norwegian keywords from lightroom. Now I want to use imatch for keywording. The question is: when I want to add keywords in Norwegian, as I have used to until now, do I have to build my own hierchical keywords? I was told that Imatch had a built-in setup for this: who|....., when|...., what|. I can just find WHO|.....Is this because I have setup Imatch in Norwegian? I hope you have some recommodations how to do this:)

When I try to add a name, for example Adam, the name is not visible as keyword. Why?

Mario

Usually keywords have no language. There are only a small number of XMP fields with the possibility to use language but that makes a lot of problems, like many apps removing all non-neutral language metadata. Best to keep the IMatch default settings and work with language-neutral settings.

Which settings in IMatch did you change to make this "Norwegian"?

The default IMatch thesaurus is language neutral and automatically imported into new databases. You can see it in the Thesaurus Manager and in the Keyword Panel, for example. It has no WHO  WHERE WHY top-level keywords, if this is what you are expecting. The thesaurus has top-level groups like Age Group, Animals and Pets, ..., Travel and Geography.

If the default thesaurus was not imported for some reason, you can import it via the The Thesaurus Manager. The file name is "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\system-en.imths"

You can also import other controlled vocabularies (the Thesaurus Manager supports several import formats). See Free controlled vocabularies for IMatch in the IMatch knowledge-base.

If you have used Lr before, you can import the keyword list from your Lr database with the Lr Importer App (In the IMatch The Import & Export Panel).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

Hello:)
When I installed Imatch, I got an option to choose Language. I chose Norwegian. I have imported a lot of keywords from lightroom which are written in Norwegian language. This is why I Wonder if I should continue With that.

Mario, you wrote:  "Best to keep the IMatch default settings and work with language-neutral settings."

What is Language-neutral settings?

Does it mean English?

Should I Write my keywords in English?

Should I Write in English to take advantage of hierarchical keywords, controlled vocabularies and thesaurus? I Guess this is just English?

But thank you for Your quick response as always:)

Mario

Hi,

when you first start IMatch, it asks you for the language to use for the user interface (menus, commands etc.). This has nothing to do with metadata. Unless you change it, IMatch uses language-neutral resources (which is perfectly OK).

What is the problem, exactly?
Are the keywords you have added in LR not visible in the IMatch Keyword Panel?
Keywords are language neutral, you can write them in whatever language you like. Many users write keywords in multiple languages, to make them easier to handle by multi-lingual users.

Maybe just attach a ZIPPED copy of one of your images so we can see the metadata they contain?
If your files are larger than 2 MB, reduce the size without removing metadata or send a sample file to support email address with a link to this topic.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

It seems like all imported keywords from lightroom are there and visible. I just wondered if I make a mess in Imatch if I enter keywords in Norwegian and also use thesaurus in Imatch. As you said Mario, the built-in thesaurus already have many Groups to use, but these are in English Language. Maybe it`s not a problem to mix Norwegian end English keywords for the same photos?

As an alternative, I can build my own  hierarchical keywords in Norwegian Language?

Mario

Hi,

the thesaurus does not really care (or know about the language). You are free to enter contents in whatever language you like.

I have designed it to be multi-lingual (to manage per-language) contents.
Later I've learned how messy metadata management in other applications is, and that many (even expensive) applications silently delete or mess up multi-lingual XMP data. And keywords are always language neutral, that's how XMP is designed.

So the default in IMatch is now to be language-neutral and to create language-neutral metadata. This works great across all platforms and applications.

The default thesaurus in IMatch ins English. It is just an example for a thesaurus and meant to give users a quick start. You can easily remove all or selected keywords via the thesaurus manager. And then either import an existing keyword set in Norwegian or create your own thesaurus as you go.

+ The Thesaurus Manager can import multiple formats: Importing Thesaurus Data

+ You can tell the Thesaurus Manager to import existing keywords in your files into the thesaurus.
This may be a good start. Remove all existing keywords int he Thesaurus Manager (just select the "Keywords" node at the top and press <Del>). Then run the Import from Database command to fill your thesaurus from your already assigned keywords.

+ If you have Lightroom, you can use the Lightroom Importer App (Import & Export panel in IMatch) to import your keyword list from Lightroom catalog.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

Thank you!

My Norwegian keywords are already imported into Imatch With the lightroom importer app. I will try to import my keywords into thesaurus as you said.

You explained: just select the "Keywords" node at the top and press <Del>). Then run the Import from Database command to fill your thesaurus from your already assigned keywords.

This just delete the Groups already in thesaurus? What happens when I run this database command? I Guess I have to create New Groups myself?

Mario

If you have imported your Lr keywords, they will already be in your thesaurus. Did you look?

My comment about deleting the default thesaurus entries with <Del> was meant to be used when you want to replace the entire thesaurus with only Norwegian keywords. Else you don't need this.

Note: Changes done to the thesaurus don't affect the keywords in your files. These are separate concepts. See the The Universal Thesaurus help topic and The @Keywords Category for more info.

I also recommend to watch the tutorial videos for the Keyword Panel etc. in the IMatch Learning Center
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator