Failed to create cache image for MOV files

Started by sampson, April 01, 2019, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sampson

So far in applicaiton log, only MOV files are giving me this error.

How can I fix that?

Mario

Please always show us the complete log file.
We don't even know which IMatch version you use, which Windows version you use etc.

Do you see a thumbnail for the MOV file in the File Window?
Does the animation run when you hover the mouse of the thumbnail?

IMatch produces cache images for video files using the external FFMPEG application. This renowned tool can usually handle all video files, even all the strange variants Apple devices have produced over time. We need a debug log (see log file) so we can see if FFMPEG has returned a problem or error message for your files.
Also upload a sample MOV file somewhere and give us the link.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sampson

One MOV file, is only 1.6MB, so I attached here together with the application log.

In the file panel, yes, I can see a thumbnail of the MOVs, but there are no animations.

Mario

FFMPEG cannot extract frames from this MOV Apple file. The resulting output file is empty and an error message is returned.
This usually indicates a corrupted file or a file in an unsupported file format variant.
The FFMPEG probe utility returns:

Unsupported codec with id 0 for input stream 2
Unsupported codec with id 0 for input stream 3

Try to re-encode the file with a movie editing application.

I think the problem is that the file is less than 2 seconds long and this messes with the default parameters used by IMatch for extracting thumbnails.
I could extract one frame after working hard on the command line with ffmpeg directly. There is definitely something fishy with that file. Try to re-encode and then try in IMatch again (with a forced rescan).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sampson

Thank you for looking into this.

The default Windows 10 player cannot play this file.

While in Linux, VLC and QtAV can play with sound OK.

QtAV is giving this Media Info, attached as print screen here.

When I notice longer MOV files having the same issue, I will update back here.

Mario

The Windows 10 player does not support many formats. VLC is much better.
Anyway, FFMPEG cannot process your files for some reason, at least not until I use some very specific options, no time offset and a different fps setting. Very obscure.

I have added a second process step as a fallback for the next IMatch release. You can check if this works after installing the new version. Select the problem files in a File Window and press Shift+Ctrl+F5 > Force Update.

Video files are definitely a much bigger mess than images and RAW files combined. And every hardware vendor and software vendor seems to produce variations of the formats, by leaving bits out, ignoring standards etc. And Apple's/Nokias patent-ridden HEIC/HEIF variants make this even worse.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator