File length in Standard-Tags

Started by Gerd, September 19, 2013, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Hi Mario,

for some reasons it is necessary to categorize (data-driven) files by there file-length (e.g. < 2MB; >2MB), but I do not find the file-length in the TAG's.

Do you see there a possibility?

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

There is no metadata tag which contains the size of the file.
Data-driven categories work on metadata only. It's not possible to use a data-driven category to group files by their size.

Grouping files by size is probably nothing what many users will ever need. Things to try:

1. Create a sort preset which uses the file size. This brings similar-sized files together.
2. Try the Data Map App (in the App Panel). It creates a visual cluster showing the 50 largest folders.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Mario,

what is this (screenshot)?

Regards
Gerd

[attachment deleted by admin]
_______
Regards
Gerd

thrinn

Hi Gerd,
according to the title lines shown in Exiftool GUI, it's not an Exiftool tag but a property related to the file (Heading "--File--"). This information is shown by Exiftool GUI, but it is no "tag" in the sense of the word. Therefore, you will not find the file size as metadata tag in IMatch.

That, at least, is my explanation  :D
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

cytochrome

There is a difference between readable tags like filesize and writable tags.

In principle, since exiftool can read and display it it should be possible, with the ECP to read it and filter on it. Like Mario says not many people will want this, so it is to do with the ECP or a script.

Francis

Gerd: try this in the ECP:

-use
MWG
-a
-filesize#

The output should be

D:\Images\D80\ARC_SE~1\DSC_3481.NEF
D:\Images\D80\ARC_SE~1\DSC_3642.NEF
D:\Images\D80\ARC_SE~1\DSC_3643.NEF
D:\Images\D80\ARC_SE~1\DSC_3644.NEF
D:\Images\D80\ARC_SE~1\DSC_3645.NEF
D:\Images\D80\ARC_SE~1\DSC_3646.NEF

-execute9999
======== D:/Images/D80/ARC_SE~1/DSC_3481.NEF
File Size                       : 8663276
======== D:/Images/D80/ARC_SE~1/DSC_3642.NEF
File Size                       : 8482824
======== D:/Images/D80/ARC_SE~1/DSC_3643.NEF
File Size                       : 8563770
======== D:/Images/D80/ARC_SE~1/DSC_3644.NEF
File Size                       : 8640172
======== D:/Images/D80/ARC_SE~1/DSC_3645.NEF
File Size                       : 8715778
======== D:/Images/D80/ARC_SE~1/DSC_3646.NEF
File Size                       : 8727160
    6 image files read

Don't ask me how to filter on this, but certainly somebody will come up with a solution

PS
I was just reading about User defined variables in the HELP: Apparently you may built your own variable based on File.Size The size of the file on disk, in bytes.  This you may then use in a data-driven category. It is well explained in the Help in the Variable part (I am always amazed how much information is present in the Help, and how little I understood at a first reading). It is only when one needs it that one reads carefully and gets it...

Mario

Quote from: Gerd on September 19, 2013, 04:04:31 PM
Hi Mario,

what is this (screenshot)?

Regards
Gerd

IMatch does not import these superfluous tags (file size, file name etc.) IMatch has this data internally already. Sorting them again in the metadata database would be redundant.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Mario,

if it is standard in IM5, why not available in the Tag-selection but available in the thumbnail-view?

Regards
Gerd

[attachment deleted by admin]
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

Data-driven categories work on metadata only.
The file window mixes data from different sources.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Gerd

Hmmm .... who has programmed this mix? ......
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

I did.

Data-driven categories run in the database. They are very complex and to make them work fast I had to work real hard. There is a reason why there are no other applications which come even close to what IMatch 5 can do with categories.

A file window can display information from various sources because I explicitly programmed it that way. It is not even remote as performance critical as a data-driven category. You can even use custom templates which mix free text and variables. All this will not work for data-driven categories for technical, complexity and performance reasons.

Data-driven categories which group files based on the file size is surely nothing many users will need, ever.

If this is of such importance for you, it can easily be achieved with a small script which creates categories on the fly and puts files with sizes falling in specific ranges into them.

Or if you really need this, you can use a Metadata Template to get the file size into an XMP tag.
Setup a template which copy the file size (via the corresponding variable) into an XMP tag of your choice. Then setup a data-driven category on that tag.
If you run the Metadata Template automatically when you import new/updates files your data-driven category only needs to refresh to show you the new files as well.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Gerd

Hi Mario,

tahls for the hints!  :)

I'll will dive into it!

Regaqrds
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd