Relocate Question

Started by JohnZeman, June 29, 2019, 01:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

No problem here, I'm just curious about something.

My IMatch database is on my SSD C: drive while all of my images are on my D: data drive.

Today I used Macrium Reflect to clone my original 6TB D: drive to a new replacement 6TB drive and all went as expected.

After physically replacing the old D: drive with the newly cloned one, I used Disk Management to change the new drive letter to D: so it was just like the original.

When I rebooted the computer again and launched IMatch 2019.6.2 to my surprise I did not have to relocate the images on my old D: drive to the new one, IMatch seems to have adapted to the new drive without me doing anything.  Has something recently changed in IMatch in this regard?  Or maybe it's because my database is on the SSD C: drive?

The last time I cloned and changed out that drive was on an older computer, maybe 3 or 4 years ago.  And that time I did have to use the relocate command after replacing the D: drive but both my database and my images were on the D: drive then.

Just wondering why I didn't have to relocate this time.

As an aside both Dropbox and OneDrive automatically migrated to the new drive too.

Jingo

I believe IM uses the serial number of the drive - perhaps the clone software also set the serial number of the drive to the same value thus a 1:1 representation?

Mario

The serial number is creating during formatting a drive. If the drive is cloned, it usually stays the same, hence no relocation needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook