Filter panel - date filter: allow filtering by file modification time.

Started by ubacher, August 19, 2019, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

Currently the by-date filter uses the file creation date to filter.
I propose an option to allow by-date filtering using the file modification date instead.

Mario

Use the Collection filter on one of the last modified/updated/viewed collections. Done.

Or use a Value or Metadata Search Filter for this purpose. You can then filter by any tag you like.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

Quote from: ubacher on August 19, 2019, 05:33:26 PM
Currently the by-date filter uses the file creation date to filter.

which filter you are writing about exactly?

Oliver

Mario

Date

This filter uses the IMatch File DateTime attribute (like the File Window, the Timeline, ...). This timestamp is derived as described here: How IMatch uses Date and Time Information
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

QuoteUse the Collection filter on one of the last modified/updated/viewed collections. Done.

As discussed recently in another thread the collection is not based on file modification alone. (Topic 9278)
So I can not find files which were actually modified on disk. It was this which triggered me to post this feature request.

QuoteOr use a Value or Metadata Search Filter for this purpose. You can then filter by any tag you like.

I tried the value search with Exif::Main\ModifyDate and also with Composite\ModifyDate but non showed me any files.
Anyway - not really suitable to use since it would show an entry for almost every file.

Using the  Metadata filter I can not filter (don't know how) on modification date being a certain date.

To Ibo: In the filter panel you can select to show the Date filter panel

Mario

There is no metadata tag that mirrors the file system modification date. And no filter for it.
I doubt that this would be useful for many users, else it would have been requested sometimes since IMatch 5.

When you modify a file on disk, IMatch will record that in the history and update the corresponding collection.
If you really need to differ between file modified (on disk) and file modified (in IMatch, e.g. metadata) you can write a custom app.

Let's see how many other users see a need for such a filter.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

lbo

ubacher, what's the use case for your demand?

I think it wouldn't hurt to have access to the file modification time from inside IMatch, yet I have no pressing need for it.

Oliver

Mario

You can always see the last modified date and time if you need to (MD Panel, File Window Tip, wherever you can use variables).
The variable is {File.Modified}. List of File Variables

For all else, using the "Recently Updated" collection should be sufficient (filtering, quickly seeing all files modified today, ... this week, ...)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

It's not a big issue - I am just spoiled and think Imatch can find just about anything.

It is easy enough to use explorer and search for datemodified:today

As to using the collection "Recently Updated" I point out again that it lists files which have had metadata
changed within Imatch but not changed on disk.

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on August 20, 2019, 05:15:52 PM
As to using the collection "Recently Updated" I point out again that it lists files which have had metadata
changed within Imatch but not changed on disk.

This is precisely the purpose. The file is modified (on disk, or in the database with now pending changes just not written back) => into the collection.
The "files modified on disk today" is covered by that, but also other changes you have done to the file in IMatch and Windows Explorer cannot know about. Not sure why "modified on disk by some external application but not changed by me in IMatch" distinction is so important for you. But I doubt it will be for many.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

QuoteThe file is modified (on disk, or in the database with now pending changes just not written back) => into the collection.

Even if the there are no changes requiring a writeback the file is shown in the Modified Today Collection

Here is what I did:
I took a jpg file and opened it in PS. I converted it to Black&White and wrote it out with a postfix to the name.
The new file and the old file show up in the Modified Today collection.
Imatch recognized the new file as a version of the old one - It propagated the rating.
Would the marking of the old file as a master cause the modified status?
Attached the screenshot showing the two files in the collection.

PS: I just tried writing out the modified file as a TIFF so that no version recognition/propagation happens- same result:
the original file is shown in the Modified collection.