Setup to propagate renames from master to version and allow rename of version?

Started by lbo, August 29, 2019, 02:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbo

Hi all,

assuming a setup where a masters are named IMG_4711.cr2 and versions (created by the raw developer) are placed in a subfolder (e.g. dxo) and named IMG_4711.jpg or IMG_4711_1.jpg

Please tell me whether my following assumptions are correct:

• A version rule doesn't propagate a rename of the master to the version.
  • So I need a buddy relation in addition to the version relation, if I want to propagate a master rename, e.g. from IMG_4711.cr2 to foobar_4711.cr2
  • With such a buddy relation, a master rename from IMG_4711.cr2 to foobar_4711.cr2 would cause IMG_4711_1.jpg to be renamed to foobar_4711_1.jpg
  • If I set this buddy relation, I can't rename the version from foobar_4711_xyz_1.jpg to foobar_4711.jpg

Is there an easy setup to propagate master renames to versions as explained in Copy, Move, Rename but still be able to rename the "appendix" of the version name?

Mario

The versioning and buddy file system is extremely powerful. Way ahead of anything else on the market.

Not everything is possible. Versioning does not rename, that's what buddy files are for. If you construct overly complex buddy file names which have no real relation to the master name and which cannot even be grabbed by a regexp, you may not be able to use the versioning and buddy management system in IMatch with your file organization.

Buddy file renames use the master name as the source and then rename the buddy accordingly.

This is meant for naming conventions like "master.RAW" "master.jpg" for example.
If your buddy file name is "beach.jpg" instead, IMatch will be unable to rename the buddy because it has no production rule from the master to the buddy file name.
Not everything that works from the master file name by applying a set of complex regexp rules can be done in the reverse, during the rename. There is no 1:1 way in your case.
Buddy renaming can only do simple text comparisons and replacements.

Keeping file names simple is a key to successful buddy file management. Most software doesn't even support buddy file names which are not 100% identical to the master (except the extension). Or maybe follow a 100% production rule like master.ext.buddy_ext as used by some RAW processors.

Using simple file names is a key for successful buddy file management in IMatch and other applications. Now and in the future.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

I consider my current naming scheme demonstrated in the OP pretty simple and straightforward, don't you? I chose it according to Choosing Names for Buddy Files

My core question was (is):

Is there an easy setup to propagate master renames to versions but still be able to rename the "appendix" of the version file?

Setting a buddy relation (to propagate master renames) seems to disable renames of the version files, see the example in the fourth bullet of my list:

I can't rename foobar_4711.cr2's buddy file from "foobar_4711_xyz_1.jpg" to "foobar_4711.jpg". Is this by intention or did I rather something wrong?

What is the "best practice" to deal with this?

Mario

I don't know. Best you try it out.
All that can be done has been documented in the help. I don't have the time currently to setup a test database with your naming schema and then try out if this works or maybe how to get it to work. I can only use the same tools you can use and the same documentation you have access to. But I'm totally busy with IMatch 2020 at this time and for the upcoming weeks. I suggest you try it out yourself and see how far you get. Or maybe another user has the time to reproduce your workflow and help you find a solution. Not everything is doable. The buddy file management is in place since IMatch 5 many years ago and seems to work well for most users. That's good.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

Quote from: Mario on August 29, 2019, 03:55:13 PM
I don't know. Best you try it out.

did so, seems to be an error with the renamer, I'll post a bug report.