Panel with "last used" categories

Started by rik, September 23, 2013, 09:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rik

I would like to have a panel which shows (and allows me to choose) a list of "last used" categories. Possibly also a list of "most used" categories. This may also be applicable to keywords.

Explanation.
I use categories for names of persons in an image. So I have a very long list of person names. Most often, when I assign categories (read: names of persons) to a set of images, these are of the same group of people. It is very handy when the names of this group are close to each other because it saves a lot of scrolling. This can be done with a "last used" category list.

More explanation.
Imagine I have image 1 with Alice and Zoe and image 2 with Alice, Zoe and Bob.
If I only have a an alphabetic sorted category list, after I have assigned Alice and Zoe to the first image, I select the second image, assign Alice, scroll down the very long list, assign Zoe, scroll back up (ok this can be done smarter, this is just for the sake of argument) and find Bob.
If I have a "last used" list, this will list Alice and Zoe next to each other (because I just assigned them to image 1) so I can assign them easily to image 2 without scrolling, and then I add Bob with a bit of scrolling.

Thanks a lot,

Rik

thrinn

Did you have a look at the Favorites panel (F9,F)? I think what you need is already there.

In the IMatch help file Favorites are covered in their own chapter.

Regards,
Thorsten
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

rik

Quote from: thrinn on September 23, 2013, 10:01:08 PM
Did you have a look at the Favorites panel (F9,F)? I think what you need is already there.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that covers it, but only partly. The proposed list of "most used" categories should be dynamic and should be maintained on-the-fly, which suits better for my purposes.

Thanks again.

Mario

The Category History tab in the Favorites Panel contains the last recently used 50 categories. It's not a most used, but a last recently used. The last recently used category is always the first in the list. The Folder History works in a similar fashion, but for folders.

A most often used category list can be easily set up by dragging your (currently) most often used categories to the Favorites panel.

What other dynamic do you have in mind?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Category History is potentially a very useful panel. A few flaws though as I see it:

Calculated Categories need not be shown - they can't be assigned anyway.
Bug: Clicking on a calculated category moves it up to the top of the category history even though it could/did
not assign it.
Showing  only the leaf of the category tree can make it difficult if several leaves have the same name.
Maybe showing at least the branch of the category tree one up would help.

Bug? Keywords are not shown with the keyword Icon.

Very useful would be a section showing the categories assigned to the previously selected image
with an ASSIGN ALL button.

Bug: The cursor points to one field but the highlighted field is another on. Clicking assigns the highlighted field and not the
one where the cursor is. Sorry I can't get a screenshot showing this. Since this is happening it does no longer show the tooltip.

And here, because it's related, a bug? in the Categories Panel -- Current Categories: does not show keywords

Richard

Bugs should be reported individually in the proper forum, not as feature requests.

Gerd

Hi,

"Bug: The cursor points to one field but the highlighted field is another on. Clicking assigns the highlighted field and not the
one where the cursor is. Sorry I can't get a screenshot showing this. Since this is happening it does no longer show the tooltip."

yes, this I have this also sometimes and reported earlier. Tried to find out, if it happens, when there are too many cats in the list, but no success to get this effect. I got this effect two times in the past.
_______
Regards
Gerd