Pack and go

Started by dwags, December 16, 2019, 02:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwags

I recently renamed my hard drive that all my photos are stored on, not realizing this would affect my database. I then had 2 of each photo showing up in imatch, one with the categories listed and one without. No matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the duplicate thumbnail without loosing the categories. After trying different things, I ended up loosing all my categories on all the files - over 70,000 images.

I hoped Pack and Go would restore them, but when I run it, all I get is the attached summary.
What am I doing wrong, and can I get all my associated categories back?

Dale 

Mario

You don't include your database in Pack & Go (It lists databases as "None").
So Pack & Go cannot restore your database. Make sure you include your database on the "Backup" tab in Pack & Go.
When Pack & Go starts for the first time, it automatically includes the last used IMatch database. Maybe you have removed that at some point in the past?

To fix the problem:

Restore your database from your last daily backup.

Renaming a disk breaks the link between that disk in your IMatch database and the files on that disk.
To fix that, use the Relocate command to let IMatch know about the new hard disk.
See https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#offline-files.htm, specifically Files Moved to Another Disk or Computer

Adding the folders from again to your database just produces a second copy of each folder, without categories.
To fix that, use the "Remove folder from database" command to remove the duplicates (the ones without categories) from your database again.
Then relocate the original folders:
+ Right-click on the disk node (of the disk you have renamed).
+ Choose Relocate
+ Relocate the disk to "itself" (e.g. Relocate from C: to C:)
+ IMatch then picks up the new drive label and updates the database to bring all folders back on-line again.
Takes only a few seconds.

Remember to ask here or via my support email before you do something drastic. Will save you trouble.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook