Behaviour of Metadata write back for Face region

Started by axel.hennig, February 29, 2020, 10:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axel.hennig

Hi,

I made some tests with the new face recognition feature and I was wondering why no face region was written back to my files. Only "Person in Image" (XMP - iptcExt) was written. Then I changed the following setting "Preferences -> Metadata 2 -> Annotations -> Import XMP Face tags into Annotations = Yes" (was previously No. Then, face regions are written back.

But: The setting is called "Import" and not "write back" and the help says "During write-back, IMatch creates XMP face regions from faces stored in the database." So I assumed that no setting is needed...

Can somebody reproduce this behaviour?

What to do to reproduce:

1. Preferences -> Metadata 2 -> Annotations -> Import XMP Face tags into Annotations = No
2. Import an image with a face and without any metadata
3. Run face recognition
4. Assign the face to any person
5. Write back metadata
6. Start Exiftool-Command-Processor with "List Metadata", i.e.
-G1
-all
-a
{Files}

7. There should be "[XMP-iptcExt] Person In Image", but there should not be any kind of "[XMP-mwg-rs] Region ..."

I would not have expected this behaviour since the Preferences says "Import" and the help says (or I interpret it that way) "IMatch created XMP face regions". This seems to me that no setting is needed.

Thanks,
Axel

Mario

This setting should be named import/export, actually. It activates import and export.
Not sure why this is named import, but it is named that way since IMatch 5, I believe.
I will change this for the next release to "Manage faces in XMP regions".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook