Confirmation message when creating multiple events from the Categories view

Started by thrinn, March 01, 2020, 09:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrinn

In the Categories view, we have the context menu option of "Create events for all selected categories...". If only one category is selected, selecting this command brings up the Event editor, which is fine.
But if more than one category is selected, events are created in the background, but there is no visual feedback at all. I was led to the assumption that nothing had happened, so I tried again (because I thought I had missed the menu entry while clicking). Unfortunately, the same events are then created again, what I only discovered when I switched (finally) to the Events view.

I propose to add at least a message box or something similar to confirm that "n events have been created." Maybe add something like "Switch to the Events view to see them".

Ideally, it should not be possible to create the "same" event multiple times, but this may be difficult to define, as we do not have a unique ID for an event (like the tag of a person).
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Not sure about this.
IMatch generally does not confirm the execution of commands. This would infuriate most users..."You have run command X. The command has completed"...

You use the command to create events from selected categories. IMatch does that.
You don't check that the events have been created. You run the command again. IMatch again creates events from the selected categories.
There is no reason for IMatch to reject this. You can create as many events from the same category as you like. Maybe you want to name them differently. Or use different cover images.

Not sure if we really need yet another message for this.
How many users will create events from multiple categories? How many users would expect a dedicated "Done" message box?
Let's see how many +1 this gets...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: thrinn on March 01, 2020, 09:37:41 PM
I propose to add at least a message box or something similar to confirm that "n events have been created." Maybe add something like "Switch to the Events view to see them".

+1
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Added a message box for both folders and categories to the next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on March 02, 2020, 03:46:32 PM
Added a message box for both folders and categories to the next release.

THANKS!

Phew, you have a LOT to do nowadays!
But I think, with every solved "problem" it will be a bit better and more silent  8)

because IMatch 2020 rocks!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus