Difficulty Deleting Files

Started by Darius1968, March 04, 2020, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Okay, the attached log file and the screen capture above serve as a recording of IMatch not being able to delete said file(s).  I know the problem isn't with the folder itself because I can open the image(s) in File Explorer and have no problem deleting there.  Is this a bug? 

Mario

This message comes straight from Windows.
Do you have the Quick View panel open? Windows may still have a lock on the file from IMatch loading it.
Just retry in a few seconds and it will delete just fine. Maybe switch to another image in the File Window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Well, switching to another file, and then back wasn't enough to clear the problem.  However, I was able to finally delete the offending files by first closing out Quick View.  With that said, this has happened earlier in the day, and closing out the database and IMatch, and then re-launching isn't enough to fix the issue with said problem files.  As you suggested and I have just verified, those problem files can be deleted if Quick View isn't open, but this need to delete in the absence of Quick View is only true for certain files.  So, what could it be about those files that causes this problem? 

Mario

If not even closing IMatch solves the issue, this is caused by something external (virus checker?)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I have both the database as well as the IMatch program file excluded from my antivirus.  I think you may have misunderstood me though.  What I mean by closing out and re-launching IMatch not solving the problem is that since this inability of deleting certain files while Quick View is open is just confined to certain files, not all, then it's something about those select files being open in Quick View that manifests the problem.  So, the problem isn't there when I first open IMatch, unless of course, the problem file has focus. 

Mario

IMatch loads cache images (or JPEG files which are usually not cached) via Windows WIC and DirectX directly into the graphic card.
Maybe, for whatever reason, Windows keeps a lock on your JPEG file (or some of the files) and this prevents them from being deleting. Windows sometimes works in mysterious ways.
I recommend to close the Quick View Panel in that case. This deletes all WIC and DirectX resources IMatch has allocated for it, and this should force Windows to release the file locks.
Please note that this is outside the control of IMatch. IMatch does not lock files and does not keep files "open". It closes the file again after pumping it into the graphic card RAM.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator