Design & Print

Started by Darius1968, March 13, 2020, 04:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Okay, I have 118 bookmarked files for which I want to create a Landscape 8x4 Contact Sheet, using Design & Print.  It seems simple enough to specify that I want the result to be sorted in ascending order, by folder & file name.  However, can someone here advise me on what to do so that I can separate this group of 118 files into subgroups, by folder?  More specifically, this group is already sorted with the Custom sort order, but they are arranged by folder, and although I don't want the custom sort order to change, I do want an intelligent separation into groups, as the folder changes.  Thanks! 

Mario

This is explained in the Design & Print Help, under the topic How Groups Work
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Very good! 
So, now I know that with this Groups feature, I can provide a header cover page that prefaces each new group (in my case, categories), and that this header cover page can utilize a variable that outputs the name of the category, representing a new chapter.  With this in mind, instead of having the header cover page, I'd like to just have a text container that outputs the name of the group.  This text container could have the option to appear on each page of the group, just on the 1st page, or on any page(s) of the user's choosing.  Is this possible? 

sinus

Darius
very good, that you managed it.

What you asked here, I do not fully understand, sorry, my English is too bad.

But I am quite sure, that it is possible, what you want to achieve.

At least, you can do before a group print every group, what follows with
{Print.Group.Name}

and with the hidden - field you can say even, that this name should only be printed on page x (here 8)

{Print.Document.PageNumber|is:8,1,0}

Design & Print offers a LOT of possibilities, also with help of variables.
Have fun.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: Darius1968 on March 14, 2020, 09:25:12 AM
Very good! 
So, now I know that with this Groups feature, I can provide a header cover page that prefaces each new group (in my case, categories), and that this header cover page can utilize a variable that outputs the name of the category, representing a new chapter.  With this in mind, instead of having the header cover page, I'd like to just have a text container that outputs the name of the group.  This text container could have the option to appear on each page of the group, just on the 1st page, or on any page(s) of the user's choosing.  Is this possible?

Many things are possible with Design & Print. I recommend to study the documentation carefully and to play with it for a days or two to learn what it can do for you.
Just look at all the IMatch Printing Variables Design & Print offers. Yay, there is even one that is named {Print.Group.Name} and that looks promising for a start...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I've been studying that online help about the Design & Print, and maybe I've been overlooking something that hopefully, I'll grasp.  Suffice it to say, I, as of now, pretty much know how I can get the info I want to output, but I'm trying to have the info (in the form of a text container) be output only on the 1st page of each new group.  Any pointers of this? 

Mario

Visibility of text containers can be controlled by variables: Anatomy of a Container
This allows you to show containers only under certain conditions, like on the first page, in the first group, ...

Design & Print is like Photoshop. You need to work with it, try things out to learn how to achieve what you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator