Problem with category assignment

Started by mcgregni, October 01, 2013, 05:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgregni

Probably a simple setting, but I can't find it in 5 ...... I always use the 'unassigned files' category and work from there categorising images. In iMatch 3 this works OK - I select the image and tick the relavent boxes in the category box. But now in 5, using the category panel, or drag / drop, I find that my image is being removed from the 'Unassigned' category immediately after checking one category - so I can't then continue and assign it to further categories! This is different to 3 where the image stays visable until the whole view is refreshed. Is there a setting to change this behaviour?

Gerd

Hi,
I had the same problem. I solved it this way:

I have created a category AA_NEW, so the name is outside the names of other categories.

All unassigned pics are assigned to this cat AA_NEW and from this cat I can assign them to other categories.
After finishing, I un-assign via Cat-Hist.-Panel and clicking with pressed Shift-key.

_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

This behavior is by design. The file window reflects changes made to categories immediately. When you remove a file from the category you are currently viewing, it is removed from the file window as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

This is why in my system all new images for IMatch first go into a folder called !Queue.  Working in the !Queue folder after I've assigned categories and have done whatever else needs to be done to those images I move them to their permanent folders.

DigPeter

I do something similar - I have a folder WIP (work in progress).  Only when I have filled in all metadata do I move files to their permanent location.  WIP has subfolders which contain some long standing files which I have still to decide whether to keep, amend or whatever.

mcgregni

It was not an issue in iMatch3 - the 'unassigned' category was not refreshed immediately, allowing you to assign the image to multiple categories one by one. Surely this is a logical way of working? Is it not desirable to continue this approach, as the suggested workarounds are hardly an efficient manner of working? Should I raise this as a request? 

Mario

If you remove a file from a category, and the file window does not update, it shows false information. This has been often claimed as a bug.

A user is working with the category panel, adding or removing files to and from categories. But he does not see his changes reflected in the file window? => Bug.

The file window displays contents of multiple categories, either by multi-selection or by hierarchy display (both not possible in IMatch 3). He runs a metadata template which changes category assignments.  He does not see the added or removed files in the file window? => Bug.

The sample Unassigned category is designed to show you all files not yet assigned to any other category. As soon as you assign a file to a category, it no longer belongs to this category and is thus removed. If it happens that you have actually loaded this category in a file window, the freshly assigned files will be removed from the file window.

For your workflow, why don't you just open Unassigned in a file window, and then bookmark/pin/flag/dot the files? This puts them into a collection. Switch to the Collection View and assign the files to as many categories as you like. This will not affect your current file window contents. When you are done with a file, remove it from the collection.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook