IMatch Hangs On Collections View

Started by Darius1968, March 19, 2020, 11:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

This log file is IMatch hanging when I click on the Collections view.  While in this view, I was still able to move around in the file window, and I could even choose any of the other views, and have the program's behavior be perfectly fine.  But, when I would switch back to Collections View, the same scenario all over again - displaying 4-day-old files in "Today", and not being able to update.  Closing out the database and exiting IMatch fixed the issue for the next time that I opened both the program and the database. 

Mario

Your database has over 400,000 files.

I see many warnings about IMatch being unable to extract thumbnails, ExifTool reporting empty files. IMatch / FFMPEG being unable to extract thumbnails from MP4 files.
It seems you have even an Microsoft Outlook PST file indexed. These files are of no use for a DAM and are usually also very large.
IMatch reports that it failed to calculate a CRC for the Outlook mailbox files, which probably just means that these are locked and IMatch has to wait until the Windows file system times out when trying to read the file...
All these issues keep IMatch busy and slow it down.
Just search your log file for W> to find these problems and file names.
Maybe don't let IMatch index any folder on your hard disk - just the folders you really want to manage in a DAM.

I see very slow updates for data drive-categories. Which is not unexpected, because IMatch also reports  Parsing variables for 404979 files.
Do you use data-driven categories based on variables? As explained in detail in the help, these should only be used for very special purposes, always on manual refresh and deleted when no longer needed.
This is especially important when you force IMatch to parse variables for 400,000 files. This will slow down the database and IMatch really badly.

I see database transaction times of 16 seconds. Usually these are more like 0.6 or 1.6 seconds.

If your setup makes such demands on the database, some other things may be forced to wait. Or have to wait for long times - like updates for secondary and potentially fleeting elements like collections.

Remember that many operations you perform will invalidate all data-driven categories.
And IMatch then has to re-calculate them when they are needed (for example, if they are visible in the Category View, Panel, Filter...). And if it takes 16 seconds (!) to update some of your data-driven categories, while the database is at 100% during that time, not much else can happen in IMatch....

Try to reduce the number of data-driven categories. If possible remove data-driven categories based on variables or switch them to manual.
What works fine on more normal-sited databases (up to, say, 200,000 files) can cause problems when your database has 400,000 files.
There are limits, even for IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook