Mapping of family relationships in People manager

Started by plastikman, April 01, 2020, 10:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

One thing that is very hard to do with keywords but should be much easier with the Persons database that was added in IMatch 2020 is the mapping of formal family relationships.

There is different ways to approach it, from simple relationship mapping which Apple does to more advanced in a family tree (the more interesting option since it can save a lot of work).

• Apple Address book implementation: define one person as "Me" and then map relationships with other contacts as: brother, sister, father, mother, son, daughter, spouse, friend etc. See here for how it works https://www.imore.com/how-create-relationships-contacts-iphone
  • A more complete taxonomy where you map a number of relationships and IMatch determines the rest. I would say this is best done by a wizard where some relations are defined and others can be automatically mapped because some core ones are defined. E.g., mapping children to just their parents (e.g. a father and mother field) will automatically reveal uncle/cousin/nephew/in law relationships.

This would automate a ton of keyword management that is very useful in finding photos and also for photo captions e.g. Father and child.

I reckon this would be some work but it would be a very useful expansion of the Persons manager and I hope usecases like this where envisioned when it was designed. Keep up the great work!

mastodon

Good idea, but I think it would need a lot of work. And It would be nice to use the GEDCOM model. So, the import and export would be possible beetween IMatch and a genealogy software. And this would be useful only for family photos. But I would pay for this as a plugin, too.